We were given a grant by the Virginia Board for People with Disabilities (VBPD) to improve wellness for individuals with disabilities across the Shenandoah Valley. Our grant provides a small amount of funding to allow individuals with a financial need to cover costs to enroll and/or engage in wellness opportunities (e.g. physical activity, sport, fitness, yoga, etc.). These funds are intended to allow participants to try out a program he or she has never been able to pursue due to financial limitations.
What can scholarships be used for?
- Enrollment Fees (program, clinic, camp)
- Transportation Costs
- Uniform or Equipment Costs
What are the requirements?
- The scholarship must benefit an individual with a documented disability.
- If a participant is under 18, a parent or guardian must sign the application to indicate their support of their child’s enrollment and participation in the proposed wellness program.
- Applicants must live in the Shenandoah Valley. (Winchester to Lexington and east to Charlottesville).
- Funds must be used to allow an applicant to try a new program or opportunity.
- Due to funding guidelines, the scholarship cannot cover enrollment fees for Empowerment3/Overcoming Barriers programming.
- Applicant or guardian must have made contact with the organization/program to determine if it is an appropriate fit prior to submitting the application.
- Participants may only receive one scholarship per year.
How will you receive a scholarship?
Due to funding guidelines, we will pay wellness organizations directly on your behalf. You must notify the wellness organization that you are interested in enrolling and verify that the program is a good fit for them (i.e., determine that the organization is able to accommodate your specific needs).
- If the organization is in our member directory, no further conversation is needed.
- If the organization is not listed, a member of SVIWC will reach out to the organization, share our mission, and confirm the organization is willing to have the participant enroll.
- We will notify you whether or not you have been selected to receive a scholarship.
- We will contact the organization to request an invoice covering your expense(s) (up to $150).
- We will pay the organization directly, not you as the individual.
- We will contact you to confirm that payment has been submitted; you are responsible for covering any remaining expenses with the organization at that time.
Please complete the application below. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Tom Moran, Project Director at 540-568-4877 or email the coalition team here. We will keep all applications confidential. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all funds have been distributed.